There are many relevant projects already happening, so where there is benefit in them being part of the Data Discovery Centre, they can be. Here’s a few of them:
1) Birmingham in Real Time (BiRT), visualising datasets and making them accessible for SME’s and universities to access.
2) Birmingham Tableau Users Group. Known for its dashboarding and data visualisation capabilities, Tableau is an excellent easy to use tool for exploring datasets quickly and easily to gain deeper insights.
- Great work by HS2 Ltd using Tableau representing 2011 census data for local authorities along the route:
- Road Safety related visualisations on James Kane’s Tableau Public profile page:
3) Mappa Mercia / OpenStreetMap community
6) Project DISC
Aris Venetikidis created a beautifully designed user-focused solution to the Dublin public transport problem as part of his Masters project in 2010 entitled ‘Vision for Dublin’.
He presented his findings in this TED talk, take a look and be inspired at how to make it easier for people to navigate unfamiliar places (using graphic design skills and a half-German brain….(Aris’ words not mine!))