DEFT153 – Delivering Efficiency for Transport for the 153 local authorities in England – offers data visualisation, digital, social media journalism, and transformational change support for media, public and private sector companies.
Founded in 2014 by highways consultant Teresa Jolley and transport journalist Pupul Chatterjee, DEFT153 Ltd is a Birmingham-based SME working locally and nationally with a range of clients.
What We Do
We enable practical collaboration between large organisations, public authorities, SME’s, research organisations, volunteer sector, journalists and the open data community to support transformation of the highways and transport sectors. Our overarching projects include:
- Multi-event narrative May-July 2018, for local transport data in collaboration with Local Government Technical Advisers Group, Landor LINKS, ThingsCamp, Transport Data Initiative, and the BBC.
- Collaboration with Waysphere Ltd to map existing groups and organisations, data platforms and sources, to help the sector prepare for more effective use of local transport data to deliver future transport services. This will be presented at the Digital Transport Exchange on 11-12 July 2018
- Regional Data Discovery Centre bringing data platforms, sources, analysis and visualisation expertise together around public sector transport priorities and supply chain partners to improve data sharing, communication and digital skills in the workforce.
How We Do It
- We deliver a range of services to our clients
- We host a public calendar sharing details of relevant events and activities
- We publish a portfolio of stories, books and visualisations
- We actively support a wide range of groups and associations, to help share knowledge across sectors:
- Birmingham in Real Time (BiRT): transport data advice and support, and connections with SME’s
- Bureau Local: transport data support
- Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation (CIHT):
- Department for Transport (DfT): part of project review team for the Local Transport Data Discovery project
- Hemming Group Media and Events: Member of Transport Network Select Committee
- Innovation Alliance for the West Midlands:
- Local Government Technical Advisers Group (LGTAG) Member of the National Transport Committee
- Transport data lead for ODI Birmingham, and West Midlands Open Data Forum (WMODF)
- Transport Data Initiative (TDI): Policy Group Member